About Me

My photo
My intention... to share a daily appreciation for the beauty, joy and humor that I experience in my life. Every day this year, I will attempt to take a picture of something that I think is beautiful, makes me smile, inspires me, or brings me joy. 2011, I welcome you with open arms. This is going to be a year full of wonder!... I can just feel it!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

March 10, 2011

Today we visited three families that TAFCOM works with. All were single women struggling to support themselves and their families while dealing with the effects of being HIV positive. Their living conditions exemplify the definition of poverty. Walls made from mud bricks, a tin roof that I can’t imagine does much to protect in the rainy season and a floor that resembles the unpaved roads in town. I have seen this before on past home visits, but it does not make it any easier. I could choose to feel sorry for these women and be sad about their living situation but what benefit does pity have? These women are all capable of doing more and they want to do more for themselves and their children. Empowerment, encouragement and education... now think of the benefit those could have on a person’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment